Get ready to show off your blue and orange pride Sept. 28-Oct. 3. Boise State is launching a week of campus events and community activities to celebrate Homecoming 2009, built around the theme, “Building our Future with Pieces of the Past.”
Boise State will pay tribute to its alumni, students and friends with a wide-range of Bronco Spirit events, including a pep rally in downtown Boise, a parade through the university and a community-based business-decorating contest. Activities will culminate with the Homecoming football game on Saturday, Oct. 3, against UC Davis.
“Homecoming is an opportunity to celebrate the history and traditions of our university and the achievements of former students who launched their careers upon graduating from Boise State,” said Mark Arstein, executive director of the Boise State Alumni Association. “This is also a great time for everyone to show their pride in the university while having a lot of fun with their fellow Bronco supporters.”
Following are some of the scheduled events. For more information and a complete list of events, go to homecoming.boisestate.edu/.
- Campus Decorating Contest: It’s that time of year again, when the blue and orange colors fly with pride. Get your co-workers together and sign up for this fun event. Show off your school pride at work and compete for the Homecoming Office Decorating Contest trophy. Judging will take place Sept. 29. For more information, or if you have questions, contact Maritza Rios, Student Involvement & Leadership Center, at email@example.com or ext. 6-1223.
- Test Your Bronco Trivia Skills: Albertsons Library is excited to offer Bronco fans the opportunity to put their memory to the test for a chance to win Bronco memorabilia. Beginning on the afternoon of Monday, Sept. 28, until mid-day Saturday, Oct. 3, the library will have a Bronco exhibit prominently displayed on the first floor, just beyond the main entrance. See memorable Bronco mascot images over the years and match each one to the correct corresponding decade. Enter your answers in a drawing to win your own piece of prized memorabilia. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Toilet Bowl Flag Football Tournament: 3:30-11 p.m. Monday, Sept. 28, at Bronco Stadium. Space is limited to the first 16 teams for this single elimination, co-ed tournament; register for free by Sept. 21. Call Campus Recreation at ext. 6-2447 for details.
- Oxygen Bar: 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 29, on the SUB Dining Room Stage. Relax and rejuvenate in the Oxygen Bar, offering 12 aromas: spearmint, eucalyptus, lavender, orange, lemongrass, wintergreen, almond, cherry, peppermint, gardenia, cinnamon, and vanilla. The Oxygen Bar is provided for free, courtesy of the Student Programs Board (SPB).
- Bronco Spirit Rally: 8-9 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 1, at Boise City Hall Plaza. The City of Trees gets a burst of blue and orange as Bronco Spirit takes over downtown Boise. In conjunction with an evening of First Thursday events and the Komen Pink Project, come show your support for the Broncos as Coach Chris Petersen, Bronco football players, the Boise State Cheer Squad and the Maneline Dancers rev up the crowd with a high-energy spirit rally.
- Presidential Alumni Recognition Gala: 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 2, in the Stueckle Sky Center Double R Ranch Room. An event to honor excellence among former students of the university. This year’s Distinguished Alumni honorees are: Trent Johnson, head basketball coach at Louisiana State University, Paralympic gold medalist Barbara J. Buchan, art educator Jennifer L. Williams and Boise Police Department Deputy Chief James M. Kerns. Susie Schumacher and Tom Beitia are the Alumni Service Award honorees. The campus community, alumni, students and the general public are invited to attend. Tickets are $50 each and must be purchased in advance by calling the Alumni Association at ext. 6-1698. Proceeds support the Alumni Association’s Legacy Scholarship Fund.
- Homecoming Parade: 2-3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 3. The whole family will enjoy this blue and orange procession featuring the Keith Stein Blue Thunder Marching Band, as well as student and community organizations decked out in Boise State regalia. The Grand Marshals are Tom Beitia and Susie Schumacher, recipients of this year’s Alumni Service awards. The parade will begin at University Drive and Earle Street, near the corner of University and Capitol, continue down University Drive and end across from Bronco Stadium at the Alumni Center. Volunteers are needed to help block streets, set up cones and signs, and organize parade floats and bands. Contact Amanda Dobey at ext. 6-2861 or email@example.com to volunteer.
- Bronco Bash: 3-6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 3, at the Boise State Alumni Center on the corner of University and Grant streets. Celebrate homecoming with your fellow Bronco fans with family activities and a genuine Boise State tailgate. Buster Bronco, the Maneline Dancers, Bronco Cheer Squad and Keith Stein Blue Thunder Marching Band will make an appearance.
- Boise State vs. UC Davis: 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 3. Go Broncos! For game ticket information call ext. 6-4737 or see www.idahotickets.com