Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu


Your source for campus news

Fire Hazard from Surge Protected Power Strips

By:    Published 1:16 pm / January 12, 2011

Three recent fires at other facilities in the United States were linked to one particular model of a surge protected power strip. Though no recall has been issued for this model, Environmental Health and Safety asks everyone to check their surge protectors and power strips for signs of overheating and potential failure. You should immediately replace your surge protector if any of the following are evident:

  • The surge protector is hot to the touch
  • It shows signs of discoloration, soot, melting  or burn marks
  • The light is not illuminated when on ( if so equipped)
  • The surge protector is beyond its useful life or appears to be an older model

The power strips involved in the fires were 12 years old and this could have been a factor.

Surge protectors and power strips are not designed to be plugged into one another. This practice is referred to as daisy chaining or piggy backing and may result in a fire or electrical shock hazard.

For more information, contact Randy Bunnis at 426-1482.

Photos below show damage caused by a faulty surge protected power strip a federal office in Dallas, Texas.