Submissions are now open for the 35th annual President’s Writing Awards, an opportunity for Boise State undergraduate students to submit their writing for university recognition and reward.
This annual contest is open to writing from Boise State University undergraduate students and categories are carefully chosen each year to include many types of academic writing including critical analysis, research and creative writing.
Categories and Guidelines
- First-Year Writing: Any student enrolled in English 101P, 101, 102, or 112 during Spring 2016 through Spring 2017 may submit an essay of any kind on any topic. There are no length limits for this category.
- Multilingual First-Year Writing: Any multilingual First-Year Writing student enrolled in English 121, 122, 123, 197, 101, 101P, or 102 during Spring 2016 through Spring 2017 may submit an essay of any kind on any topic. There are no length limits for this category.
- Civic and Ethical Foundations: Any student enrolled in UF 200 or UF 300 during Spring 2016 through Spring 2017 is encouraged to submit an essay exploring civic, ethical, and/or diversity on a local, regional, national or international topic. If your essay is the product of a team project, all names must be submitted and all team members will share the award. Essays should not exceed 20 pages.
- Critical Analysis: Essays in this category should critically evaluate or analyze a piece of literature, a theatrical performance, a work of visual art, a historical moment, a philosophical argument, a social movement, etc. Submissions should not exceed 20 pages.
- Research Based: Submissions in this category are open to research topics in any field: STEM, Social Sciences, Business, Humanities, etc. Submissions should use the documentation style appropriate to the discipline and should not exceed 20 pages.
- Creative Nonfiction: Submissions are open to one work of creative nonfiction completed for coursework in the last calendar year. Submissions should not exceed 20 pages.
- Fiction: Submissions are open to one piece of fiction completed for coursework during the last calendar year. Submissions should not exceed 20 pages.
- Poetry: Submissions are open to one poem that was completed for coursework during the last calendar year. Submissions should not exceed 5 pages.
Q: Can students enter in more than one category?
A: Students may enter multiple categories but may submit no more than one entry to each category. Contest categories are open to all manuscripts produced for undergraduate coursework at Boise State anytime from Spring 2016 through Spring 2017. Previously published work is not eligible.
Q: What sort of awards are given?
A: Two prizes will be awarded in each category: first prize, $200; second prize, $100.
Q: How does a student submit to the contest?
A: Before submitting, remind students to remove any identifying information (name, instructor) from their submission piece. Submit to the President’s Writing Awards. This is the only way submissions will be accepted.
If you have any questions about the President’s Writing Awards, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submissions is 11:59 p.m. on Monday, March 13.