Mark Heilman, director of Veterans Upward Bound at Boise State University, will serve as a featured speaker during a Veterans Day ceremony from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Nov. 10 in the Student Union Building. The Garfield Elementary school choir also will perform at the event.
Heilman will speak about giving back, which also serves as a theme for Veterans Celebration Week. “I will be talking about what it means to give back, why we do that and then tying that together and talking about veterans’ legacy of giving back,” said Heilman.
“Giving back can be something we do individually that collectively can change someone’s life or make a significant difference in our community. I think giving back is a core value for most of us. Every major faith tradition in the world has service to others as one of their major tenants and that is also one of the core values in every branch of the service. We can lose sight of that in these times.”
Help develop a connection between veterans, the campus and the community by attending any or all of the Veterans Celebration Week activities.
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. daily, Nov. 6-10, Flag placement by active duty military, veterans, and family members on the Quad
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday, Nov. 6, Get to know your U.S. Marines on the Quad
- 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday, Nov. 6, Blood drive in the Farnsworth Room, Student Union Building
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday, Nov. 6, Statewide VA conference, Hatch AB Ballroom, Student Union Building
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 7, Get to know your U.S. Army on the Quad
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8, Get to know your U.S. Air Force on the Quad
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8, Veteran faculty and staff appreciation lunch, Jordan ABC Ballroom
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9, Get to know your U.S Navy on the Quad
- 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9, Veterans career fair, Jordan ABC Ballroom
- 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, RED shirt Friday
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, Get to know your U.S. Coast Guard on the Quad
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, Veterans Day celebration, Jordan D Ballroom, Student Union Building
For more information, visit veterans.boisestate.edu. For accommodations, please contact Veteran Services at (208) 426-3744.
All events are free to the public with free parking is provided for the Veterans Day celebration in the Lincoln Avenue Parking Garage. Learn more about the history of Veterans Day.